The Blah, Blah, Blog

This is not your father's blog.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

And a big ol' helping of defeat

Three five dollar tournies, three whiffs.

First two were pretty bad play on my part. First I played one more at 3am when I should have been in bed. Blinds were still fairly low and short stack of 450 went all in a couple times. Went all in again and I had AJ suited. I pushed to isolate her. She's got Kings. They held up. Horrible play on my part. No reason to call. Too early, weak hand. I only had about 1200 chips myself. I guess I was thinking she was going all in a lot and could have had anything. Still a really bad play. Left me severely short stacked at a time when the blinds were moving into the 100 chip range.

Next tourney was tonight just card dead and made an early mistake, literally got confused on which tourney I was looking at, and called a min bet I wouldn't have otherwise. It didn't hurt that bad, but it did lower my stack enough where I was behind more than I should have been at a time when it made a difference.

Third I was doing ok. I limped in a multi-pot with 67. Flop was 358. I put in a half pot bet, just to see where I was. Only 180 chips, but I only had 830 left after that. Two callers. Pot is 800. Turn is a 7. I figure I've got the open ended draw and a pair, so I make the aggressive pot bet, leaving me with 30 chips. One caller. River is a six. I put in my last 30. He hesitates, then calls. He's got Kings. I win with two small pair. I think I played it fairly well. Some might say the potential of a made nine high straight on the turn was too big to be that aggressive, but I think it was reasonable. And the Kings probably should have folded with the possible straight on board and the stiff bet. Not sure if I would in that situation, but I don't slow play high pairs.

So I'm in decent shape at this point. Catch KQ in big blind. Like 6 limpers in front of me. I raise to five hundred. Most of them call. Flop is JTK Pot is huge. 2400. I'm in early position, I bet the pot. Get called. Everyone else folds. Jerk called 5x blind with KT. I'm out of the tourney. Very bitter, but wondering about my pot bet. Someone maybe called with Jacks, Tens, or AK. Probably not Queens, Kings, or Aces. Last two callers probably had odds to call with lesser hands. But I had to make a bet there, I've got to go strong enough to 1)weed out a draw, b)not look like I'm weak and trying to steal the pot or just making a probe bet, and 3)take away automatic pot odd calls. And once I do that, I'm chip committed when KT reraises me. I think I made all the right moves, other than raising stronger there pre-flop. And, frankly, if he's calling a 5x raise under the gun with four people left to act behind him and he's only got KT, I'm not sure he folds to anything. Sticks in my craw, though.

And now I'm $1.50 down net, with only two tournies left to cash in and break even for this round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home